Francesca Gentilli Rugs
Name & Company: Francesca Gentilli, Francesca Gentilli Rugs
Where do you live?: London
1. Tell me a little bit about your business and what was the impetus to startup?
I sell and design beautifully handwoven Dhurrie rugs from Rajasthan. Working directly with the manufacturer which gives me a unique opportunity to tailor make my rugs to almost any specification, using a vast array of colours and materials.
It really involves an impulse buy that developed into the business I have today. On a visit to India I completely fell in love with a rug I bough and decided to buy another. After learning more about how special they are, and about the skilled ancient traditions I bought even more with a view to introducing them to my friends. The Dhurries were so well received, and since then I regularly importing them.
2. What is your biggest achievement so far?
I feel very proud of creating something out of nothing, and I‘m excited for what lies ahead.
3. What is the toughest decision you had to make in the last few months?
My toughest decision to date has been to work out the right level of investment and not wanting to run before I can walk.
4. What’s the best piece of advice you have been given?
My Dad is always telling me to put everything on a spreadsheet, so now i’ve got them coming out of my ears!
5. Many people only contemplate setting up their own business, what advice would you give to spark the catalyst?
Be passionate, be excited and believe in what you are doing 100% - Now’s the time to do it!
6. What do you do to stay active and how has it changed your life?
Yoga - I try to go at least twice a week, but it varies with what i’m up to. I used to have persistent back pain and yoga has completely sorted that out (as well as loosening up my hamstrings!)
7. Do you have any favourite tips and tricks to stay healthy and happy everyday?
Eat good food, try to walk everywhere but let yourself splurge on the weekends
8. Do you consider yourself a ‘healthy eater’ and are there habits you wish you could kick?
Yes I do. I cook most meals from scratch so I know exactly what I am eating and I love cooking, so that helps. But I’ve suddenly developed a sweet tooth - it appeared from nowhere! (but I’m not quite ready to kick it just yet)
9. What is your typical…
A Green Smoothie: avocado, banana, celery, ginger, spinach, cucumber, chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts
Homemade soup or a salad
Its always different, either salmon, chilli, spring onions and green veg. Maybe a stir-fry of some sort or a Curry
10. Lastly, how lucky are you, and why?
Oh I’m very lucky, I have wonderful friends and a fantastic family who are always incredibly supportive of all decisions I make. I’ve alway loved trying new things and they have put up with the constant changes of Countries, Ideas, Jobs… the list really does go on!